January 3, 2011 12:30 PM
The New Year always causes us to re-evaluate our lives. In January, we decide if we want to lose weight, go back to school, change jobs, move, or even switch up our current relationship status. For beauty gurus, we are always keeping our eye on the prize—looking for ways to whip our skin into great shape.
Inspired by the New Year, we at TEMPTU wanted to help inspire you to put your best face forward. So, read on and discover our tips for awakening to better skin in 2011.
- Do figure out your skin type and choose products appropriate for it. For oily and acne-prone skin, stick to foams or gels. Make sure products are oil-free and contain salicylic acid to help combat blemishes.
- Do wash your skin every morning. Start every day with a fresh face! In the morning, wash your skin with a gentle cleanser or with just water, depending upon your skin type.
- Always, always, always remove your makeup in the evening, and wash the grime and grit that has accumulated onto your skin throughout the day. Not washing your skin in the evening can cause bacteria to settle into pores, resulting in blemishes in the morning. Nobody likes to wake up to that kind of surprise!
- Do exfoliate your skin once a week. Choose an exfoliating method for your skin and stick to it. Today, companies offer skincare products with exfoliating beads in them; these are great if you don’t wish to invest in an electronic tool for exfoliating. Whatever product or tool you choose, please be sure to exfoliate your skin gently. Exfoliating too much or too hard can damage the skin and cause permanent rough patches, so exfoliate with care.
- Do moisturize to prevent dry, cracked skin. After washing your face, moisturize your skin while it is still slightly wet. When skin is wet, moisturizer is able to blend and soak into skin more easily.
- Embrace lip balm. Often, our lips become chapped easily, and so, we need to moisturize our lips before they crack, bleed, and peel. Pick a lip balm that has vitamins A, C, and E in them, which will help restore moisture into your lips, along with providing a protective barrier against UV rays. Always use lip balm after washing your face, before heading outside, and before heading to bed for the evening. The best way to keep lips smooth is to use lip balm daily.
- Do treat blemishes with salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide. Before heading to bed, slather on an acne cream that contains these products. The protocol is that you wash your face, moisturize your skin, apply blemish treatment, let dry, and then moisturize once again. Again, if you have acne-prone or oily skin, make sure that you are using an oil-free moisturizer. Always look for these key words on skincare and makeup products.
- Do incorporate retinol into your skincare routine. If you have aging skin, apply a product that has retinol, or apply a prescription retinoid. Wash your face, apply moisturizer and let it soak into skin for about three to five minutes, apply retinol product, and finally, moisturize once more. Retinol will help treat and prevent wrinkles.
- Do embrace sunscreen every single day. The sun has powerful rays, and it is important to wear sunscreen to block these rays, even on cloudy days. Sunscreen also helps prevent sun damage, so be sure to wear at least an SPF 15 sunscreen. For oily and acne-prone skin, pick a sunscreen that is oil-free. The last thing you need is sun damage and breakouts! Also, sunscreen can help lower your risk of skin cancer, so wear this product religiously.
- Do visit a dermatologist yearly to have a professional look over your skin. It is important for dermatologists to examine all moles, especially ones that could have changed colors over time. This is another step for reducing your risk for skin cancer.
- Do lower your salt intake. Consider ridding salty foods from your diet, like potato chips and popcorn. While our body needs a certain amount of sodium, try cutting out excess salt to prevent inflammation and bloating. Your skin will thank you for it!
- Do drink six to eight 8 oz. glasses of plain water. Water helps to flush out toxins within the body. By drinking this amount of water, skin will become more moisturized, and blemishes will heal, resulting in clearer, healthier skin. We’ll toast to that!
Do you have any other skincare tips? If so, make sure that you share some of your awesome suggestions below. We’d love to hear what you guys have to say!